2019 Rules Bulletin Fire Suppression
Bulletin: 2019 â€“ December 3, 2018
Section 3.0 â€“ Personal Safety Equipment â€“ ALL CARS, ALL DIVISIONS
3.8 - Fire Suppression
Required for Late Models, Super DIRTcar Series, Big Block Modifieds, and 358 Modifieds in 2019. Â It isÂ recommendedÂ for all other divisions.
*** Note for DIRTcar Northeast Sportsman and DIRTcar Pro Stocks, the rule will be MANDATORY for 2020. Â If you Â install the system before 2020, you will be given a 50 lb. weight break. Weights will be as follows:
Pro Stocks â€“ 3050 lbs. without Fire Suppression. - Â 3000 lbs. with Fire Suppression
Sportsman â€“ Aluminum Wheels 2450 lbs. without Fire Suppression. â€“ 2400 lbs. with Fire Suppression
Steel Wheels 2400 lbs. without Fire SuppressionÂ â€“ 2350 lbs. with Fire Suppression
- All racecars shall be equipped with a thermally deployed automatic fire suppression system. The fire suppression system will consist of a DOT approved cylinder manufactured from aluminum or steel with a capacity of ten (10) lbs. of fire extinguishing agent, steel or steel reinforced lines, and two (2) thermally activated discharge nozzles.
- All systems must meet or exceed SFI 17.1 specifications.
- Systems must be fully charged with ten (10) lbs. of DuPont FE-36, 3M NOVEC 1230, or Fire Aide and display a legible and valid SFI and manufacturer label depicting fire extinguishing agent, capacity, and certification date. Cylinders that are beyond useful certification date must be inspected, serviced and re-labeled by the manufacturer.
- Cylinders must be mounted forward of the fuel cell. Cylinders must be securely mounted to the frame/roll cage assembly. The certification label must be unobstructed and easily accessible for inspection when the mounting is complete.
- The cylinder must be connected to the nozzles with steel or steel reinforced lines.
- Two (2) thermally activated nozzles must be used. One (1) nozzle must be located directly above the fuel cell in the fuel cell area and the second nozzle located in the driver cockpit area.
- An optional manual override cableÂ is recommended.
DIRTcar NE Series Director
Â Mark Hitchcock
DIRTcar NE Technical Director
Back to News